In 1950 the world’s first electric barrel pump was given the name FLUX. Under this company name an enterprise subsequently developed which can without doubt be considered a pioneer and market leader in the field of barrel pump technology.
The history of FLUX-GERÄTE GMBH is typical for many companies which were founded after the Second World War. However, its origins lay much further back: as far as the founding of Mauz & Pfeiffer in Stuttgart-Botnang in 1912. This company was the oldest German specialist factory for electric vacuum cleaners, and as early as 1926, under the brand name PROGRESS, it developed the first cylinder vacuum cleaner on wheels which soon became a true “bestseller”. By 1938 the company had produced the millionans vacuum cleaner – and only WW2 brought this success story to a halt. In the course of the heavy bombing and destruction of Stuttgart, the company had to move out into the countryside and production came almost completely to a standstill. After the war, the shareholders soon began to rebuild the destroyed infrastructure of the company in Stuttgart-Botnang. Success proved them right and by 1948, under the umbrella of Mauz & Pfeiffer, the company PROGRESS Verkauf GmbH had already been founded which experienced a resounding boom in the economic reconstruction that had started in the young Federal Republic. Not least against the background of the Korean War did Germany regain its importance as a leading export nation – the “economic miracle” had arrived. FLUX: a patent makes history: Almost at the same time, several students from the Technical University of Karlsruhe founded the company Phyag KG in 1949. With Nikolaus Laing as managing director they set themselves the goals of developing technical equipment up to series production standard and to achieve growth of the company through the sale of patents and issuing of licenses. In 1950, Phyag developed the FLUX F 300, the world’s first electric barrel pump – on 14 September 1950 it was officially registered and notarised under the patent number 967 424. It also received expert praise: the State Office for Trade stressed the fact that the designers had conscientiously considered all possibilities which could make pumping operations difficult. It was more economical and had a wider range of applications than the old hand pumps which had been used up until then. Furthermore, the product was available in three variations, as FLUX Standard, FLUX Petrol and FLUX Special, suitable for various applications. The State Office for Trade in Germany advised the Phyag to take on board an experienced partner. Ludwig Hahn, managing director of PROGRESS Verkauf GmbH, got to know the FLUX pump at a trade fair in 1950 and immediately recognised the potential in this invention. He quickly came to a mutual agreement with Laing and already in 1952 he obtained all rights for the new barrel pumps.